Monday, October 13, 2008

My Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 Large bunch fresh broccoli
1 large Velveeta
1/2 pkg Onion soup mix (dry)
Lots of water
1 stick butter
About 1/2 c flour
2c milk

I coarsely chop the broccoli and put it in a large pot with
lots of water.
Boil this till the broccoli falls apart.

In another large saucepan I melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux.
As it mixes and solidifies, I add the milk a little at a time till it makes a thick sauce.
I really don't measure much.. I adjust the recipe as I need.
Add some of the broccoli water ( maybe a cup at a time) to the above sauce and stir it in well.. then add some more.
I constantly stir it over medium- low heat. You don't want it to boil now.
Add the Velveeta- I chop it into hunks and melt it into the sauce.

Depending on your pot size, pour the remainder of the broccoli and water into the sauce.. or the sauce into the broccoli and water. It makes no difference.
Add the Onion soup mix to the pot.
You can add finely chopped ham or bacon at this point, but it's optional.

Keep the heat low and let the cheese finish melting.. stir often.
If it is too thin, you can mix flour and milk together..and use it to thicken.. or a cornstarch/water mixture will work too.
Just let it cook slowly on low heat and remember to stir it often.

If it gets a skin on it, just mix it in well before serving.. the lumps are expected and really add to the flavors.

Sometimes it sticks to the bottom of the pan if you don't get the heat down fast enough. In this situation, I just pour the soup into the other pot and put the singed pot in cold water to clean up later.

Freezes well.. I nuke the frozen soup for a couple of minutes

No comments: